Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Number 1 Passion


What is your #1 passion in life?  Now, imagine what would happen if you incorporated that passion into your life daily.  Write down your passion and keep it close to you.  Remind yourself of it daily, just like brushing your teeth.  (Author: Eric Handler) 
When I was in junior high, my eighth grade English teacher, Mrs. Jean Graebner turned me on to writing.  She encouraged me, fueled the passion by giving me a job as features editor on the West Junior High Sword and Shield staff.  I remember loving to write stories before then but no one really encouraged the desire like she did.
It was because of her encouragement that I took journalism in high school and became editorial editor of the Purple and Gold.  One of my teachers there was Mrs. Kay Henry.  She only taught at Hickman for one year and was only there for me, I’m sure.  It was because of her that I attended Oklahoma Baptist University and received a journalism scholarship.
From there I spent 31 years as a journalist, editor and publisher.  In 2006, I exited the changing publishing scene to concentrate on a totally different business.  But writing continued to tug and pull at me. 
This last month, due to some encouragement from a good friend, Russ Hardesty, I took the 30-day writing challenge from the #Trust30 site.  It has once again lit the passion inside.  I hadn’t totally abandoned writing. I’d written articles for several different organizations but I hadn’t been doing the every day work of writing.
Now I can say with confidence that one of my passions is writing.
The dictionary defines passion as “any powerful or compelling emotion.”  I believe that whatever generates the Number 1 powerful and compelling emotion in your life will be something that permeates all of your life.  It will be something or Someone that you don't have remind yourself about.  It will be as natural as breathing.

Your passion should also be something others don't have to guess about.  I know for many years one of my main passions was eating. At 200 pounds heavier than I am now, anyone could look at me and tell that food was one of my passions.

Most who know me would also say that one of my passions was writing. Because, that's right you know the drill now, writers write.  And I wrote and enjoyed it so much that there were many times, such as right now, that I didn't get paid for it.

As much as I love writing, I know there is a force outside of me that compels me forward in whatever I write.  I know there is Someone greater who has given me talents and gifts I cannot ignore.

In reality, my passion since seven years of age is to know and feel the smile of God on my life.  That overwhelming desire permeates every part of my life, every moment, everything I do.

He is what I get up for in the morning.  He keeps me going through the day. He is the reason I run a business to help provide for my family.  He is the reason I stop and talk to someone.  He is the reason I want to get my health in order. He is the reason I love. He is the reason I write.

As Travis Cottrell sings, “Jesus my passion is You”.

No comments:

Post a Comment