Friday, July 8, 2011

Everything to Lose: #Trust30, Day 39


“Self-censorship is not just self-betrayal and self-abandonment (which would be bad enough), but soul-betrayal and betrayal of our Muse, our inner voice, our highest self.”
Too often we censor ourselves, our actions, and our work in hope or fear of what might happen if we otherwise don’t. What words would you write today, and what actions would you take, if you had nothing to fear, nothing to lose? (Tanner Christianson)

To be rid of self-censorship and soul-betrayal (which really means deceiving and leading myself astray) means the truth has to matter to me.  I have to believe truth is the only thing that is worth writing or taking action on. I have to believe that the truth will set me free.

The Truth, in the form the God-man Jesus Christ did set me free.  When I accepted His sacrifice on the cross, it paid the penalty for everything I have ever done or ever will do that has been or will be against God. It is so amazing to me that Jesus willingly laid down his life so that I, and you, and every person who accepts what He did can live eternally with Him.  I mean if we're going to live forever somewhere why not make it the best place possible, right?

I could keep this truth to myself. Being a follower of Christ isn't as popular as it once was. We've been called intolerant, narrow-minded, conservative. There are countries where individuals are killed for following Jesus. It could happen here.  In my book, there is much more I could lose by not telling you the truth than the end of my physical life. 

I know there are those who call themselves followers of Jesus who give the whole Christian-thing a bad name.  Ignore them.  This isn't about them. This is about you. You have everything to lose.

Here's the deal, I believe not telling you the truth about Jesus is the equivalent of blowing out the only candle that exists in a completely dark room. 

My soul is the candle.  The dark room is the world.  The truth? That's the match that lights the candle. What do I have to lose? I can l lose the match.

2 comments:

  1. What your saying here sounds a lot less like self-censorship, then Holy Spirit censorship, which is right on. The Spirit leads us into all Truth, and Jesus is the Truth. On the other side of that, I have to censor myself all the time so that I don't say things that are contrary to God just like that control your tongue thing James talks about, so it doesn't crash our ships.

    Good post!

    Manifest Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this mainly as a part of the #Trust30 project. I had to tell the truth. Thanks for your acknowledgement.

    ReplyDelete