Monday, July 4, 2011

Got Energy?


“In the beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and an empty waste, and darkness was upon the face of the very great deep. The Spirit of God was moving (hovering, brooding) over the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light; and there was light” (Gen. 1:1-3 Amplified Bible).

Jaron "waiting" for lunch.
I’m jealous of Jaron.  At almost three, he is a fireball of energy, a force to be reckoned with. Boundless energy oozes out of every pore.  His grandma, Linda, gets her workout for the month whenever he spends the night. 

Energy Is Limitless
Jaron is curious about everything, how it feels to be up on stage at church, why the big fans go around on the ceiling in the restaurant, who’s sitting on the other side of the booth, what’s underneath the table. He constantly moving.  Sit still has little meaning to him unless it means he will get something to eat, which of course fuels him for more…energy.

One definition of energy is “the capacity for vigorous activity.”1 Jaron has this down pat. I am jealous of his youth, his endless capacity and boundless curiosity, the awesome things I know his energy will accomplish in his lifetime. 

I would like the physical energy it takes for that unending motion. A few health issues slow me down in that area. Perhaps that’s why I love mornings when I can go to our local activity center and do my exercises in the water.  I can do more in the water than I can do on land. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “The world belongs to the energetic.”  I have to admit that does make me a little angry.  I mean I know the world belongs to the young and vivacious.  However, I am determined to have my slice of the pie despite or maybe because of the fact that I have some limitations.

Energy Can Be Focused
Energy by its very definition seems to be limitless.  But energy that is not harnessed is no good at all.  If you’ve ever driven through Kansas on I-70, you can’t miss the huge windmill farm in the western part of the state.

Although Kansas is just getting into wind power, it has the most potential second in the U.S. only to Texas. Kansas could generate  “3,900 TW·h of electricity each year which represents nearly all the electricity generated from coal, natural gas and nuclear combined in the United States in 2008.” 2  Currently Kansas produces about 1,000 MW.

New wind fields are being built there every day. Kansas is coming into it’s own as a part of the renewable energy force in the U.S.   

The Kansas wind farms are like a grown-up Jaron.  Linda can focus Jaron's energetic capacity. For instance during the winter when a foot of snow fell overnight, a path for the dogs to get out of the house and off the deck needed to be cleared.

It was up to Linda to get the task done. Jaron was there and wanted to help. He shoveled along with her.  He had fun and didn’t even realize it was work. Maybe a wind field needs to be named after my little friend.

Energy Is Creative
When God created the world, the energy intrinsic to Him made it happen.  “In the beginning God (prepared, formed, fashioned, and) created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and an empty waste, and darkness was upon the face of the very great deep. The Spirit of God was moving (hovering, brooding) over the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light; and there was light.” 3

What is this but making something out of nothing?  What does that take?  It takes energy, vigrorous activity focused in one direction.  It took the Spirit of God moving to make it happen.

When God created mankind, He breathed that same creative spirit of life into us.4   We have a God-given capacity for the energy to create something out of nothing.  To me that is a mind-blowing, astounding, more than I can think or imagine fact. 

Jesus, you know the guy that healed cripples, made blind see, raised the dead to life, said we have the capacity to do even greater things that He did.5

Greater things, really? What could be greater than that? Maybe, just maybe, it lies in doing what we are destined to do even if that means being a mother or grandmother, painting a masterpiece, being the CEO of a large corporation or shoveling snow off the deck. 

In each instance, we have the capacity for bringing life through the creative power of resurrecting dead, unproductive, stymied lives.

Take one more look at the Genesis passage.  God actually created energy when He said, “Let there be light.”3  It tells us earlier that the earth was an empty waste. Nothing was happening because there was no energy.

God said let there be luminous, radiant energy.6 And there was.  That’s a WOW in my book.

Energy Is Boundless
There is another definition of energy, though.  That is “forcefulness of expression or a writing style abounding with energy.”7  When I write, I get in a zone.  I need quiet. I need the office door closed.  I need the phone on silent. I need no one to interrupt me with problems.

I need my brain to be singularly focused on the project I’m working on. I turn off the other writing ideas because inevitably they seep in and steal the energy for the current story.

Time flies by. I can forget appointments and anything else going on in the world.  I suppose the house could burn down and I’d still be writing about how it feels to be in a house that is on fire.  This is where my energy resides.  

It is boundless in that it does not need physical strength and outlives endurance. I usually have to go to bed by 10 pm unless I am writing. Then I can stay up until 1 or 2 a.m. Or I can go to bed and wake up at 3 a.m. and go back to writing.

I know I am using some of the energy God placed within me.  A focused energy determined to make a difference in a few lives; determined to live out my destiny.

Right now, I can’t run at top speed from the time I get up until I go to bed.  I don’t have the capacity to generate electricity for half of the United States. But I do have the ability, the energy for writing.  Writing fuels me and I fuel the writing.  It is a renewable source. 

I’m sure if Jaron could understand that, he’d be pretty jealous.

What fuels you? What do you do that you lose total track of all time and are frustrated when you have to stop and take care of necessities of life, like eating and sleeping?

1 Dictionary.com, “Energy, definition 1.” http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/energy
2 Wikipedia, Wind Power in United States. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_United_States
Genesis 1:1-3, Amplified Bible.
4  Genesis 2:7, Amplified Bible.
5  John 14:12, Amplified Bible.
Dictionary.com, “Light, definition 1.” http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/light
Dictionary.com, “Energy, definition 7.” http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/energy

No comments:

Post a Comment