Friday, July 8, 2011

Frustation Thrown In Dry Gulch


Take one child, add water and, Presto, instant joy!
Ever get frustrated when you want to do something and there are people impeding your progress? Of course you don’t. I’m the only one who does!

I’ve mentioned before that one of my favorite things is walking…in the water, not be confused with on the water!  I try to get my exercising and stretches done before 11 a.m.  That is my time to turn into a pumpkin. Not really. 

At 11 a.m. a major transformation does take place in the pool.  All kinds of little people and their mommies, daddies, grand mommies, babysitters, big brothers and sisters and you name it descend.  Where the pool has been a haven of adult peace and calm, after 11 a.m. it’s anybody’s game. 

Adults can be there and try to walk the lazy river but let’s just say there are obstacles.  The "obstacles" wear floaters and blow-up plastic inner tubes. They shriek and scream with sheer joy.  They dive for rings on the bottom of the pool and underneath your legs.

The pool itself gets into the swing of things with water shooting in arches above the lazy river and spouting from the sides of the pool.  I avoid all of this most mornings.

This morning I was just finishing my workout in time when that still, small voice, the one I normally can’t wait to hear, said, “Not time to leave yet.” I saw the obstacles waiting impatiently on the side of the pool ready to jump in, fathers holding them back. When the clock struck 11 a.m., water began spurting and all of sudden grew children.

I was in the midst of doing leg stretches so I could watch the phenomena take place. Instead of  a scowl on my face, I felt a grin begin to form. 

Babies in floaters dog paddled by to keep up with their five-year-old brothers while their mommies tried hard to keep up with them all. 

One mom was teaching her daughter to swim and clapping furiously at their attempts to swim out a few feet and back to the side of the pool.

Twin boys with Styrofoam noodles under their waists happened by, a mother and a father giving instruction in the fine art of floating, though how that happens with a flotation device attached, I don't know. I'm thinking they don't have their instructors' licenses. But they were all having fun.

A grandma walked by with a firm grasp on about an 18-month-old’s life vest while a girl of about 6 swam in and around them. Grandma and toddler laughed uproarishly as the six-year-old performed another trick. 

The spitting water, which I always hate to walk under, became an unending source of excitement as eight-and 10-year-olds ran quickly through on their trek around the lazy river. 

Joy was in abundant supply. I did not see one person with a frown on their face. Oh, I take that back. I did see one.  She was about my age. She came in about 10:55 a.m. and had just started walking the lazy river when the routine metamorphosis occurred.  She was not happy.  I smiled at her when she came by.  She rolled her eyes. 

I told myself, “Except for the grace of God there go I “.  Unfortunately, I have gone there on more occasions than I care to admit.  I thank God for the nudge of His Spirit today or I would have missed the fun.

By the way, I can’t find the above quote in scripture even though I’ve heard it all my life. And in thinking about it, it probably isn’t scriptural.  It presupposes that we are “special”.  We are but not to the exclusion of anyone else. Christ died for everyone.  We just happen to be the ones who accept and appropriate this the most extreme gift of all.

Proverbs 3:6 in the Message goes along much more with what I’m trying to say here:  “Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.” Because I listened today my frustration was thankfully thrown in Dry Gulch.

Tell me about a time when your frustration was derailed by a gentle nudge of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment