Saturday, June 4, 2011

Truly Seeing: #Trust30 Day5


If we live truly, we shall see truly. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Not everyone wants to travel the world, but most people can identify at least one place in the world they’d like to visit before they die. Where is that place for you, and what will you do to make sure you get there? (Author: Chris Guillebeau)

Children in Antigua, Guatemala.
Visiting a place to see the natural wonders and differences in the terrain and buildings is, of course, very interesting.  But to me, more interesting would be to visit and get to know the people.  When I was a kid, after we had done our shopping my Grandma and I would sit in her car on the square in Fayette, MO.  We would people watch.  Sometimes people she knew would stop and sit a spell with us in her car.  It is that interest in people that has pervaded my life.  Wherever I go, I think it would be to see and meet people, to see how they live and eat and connect to each other. 
One place I would love to go and meet the people is Antigua, Guatemala.  In 1995, my husband took a mission trip there.  The missionaries we know down there do a ministry to children in the city.  As a family, we would like to go visit them and help as we can in the ministry.  Guatemalan people dress in colorful fabrics and all are so appreciative of whatever our friends do for and with them.  Would be awesome to go to meet the missionaries and the people my husband has talked so much about.  
Children in India.
Another place I would love to go is India.  We have missionary friends there as well. The missionary friend in India worked for several years establishing a ministry to women there.  She and her new husband returned to expand the ministry, he to the men and she to the women.  There are also several ministries we know of that support rescuing young women in the sex trafficing industry.  It may be difficult to visit these ministries but it would be awesome if my daughter and I could do this. Even more rewarding would be to be able to help in the ministry in even a small way.  The cost would be even more to go there.  
My question yesterday was How can I better prioritize my time to include things I need to do for my health, finances and work of writing? For me, travel does not place as high a priority as paying off the mortgage, paying the bills, supporting worthy causes. 
Seeing truly as the Emerson quote says I do not feel means we have to visit the world but merely see each other for the marvelous gifts we truly are and accept each other. The places I want to go are most appealing to me because I would love to see and meet the people, the children, the mission work in the country.  I have never visited people in another culture and that would bevery fulfilling to me somehow.  
But, beyond travel, the most important thing is being in the here and now and seeing people truly today. It is so easy not to see.  My daughter notices details.  Yesterday I couldn't remember which waitress was ours. I mean they all had on jeans and black short sleeve shirts and dark hair pulled back in a ponytail. They all looked the same. She said, "Our waitress has little buttons on the front of her shirt."  And sure enough she did.  My daughter observed.  I always thought I was good at people watching but my daughter is better.  
Each person is valuable if we look closely and intently and truly see them.  My take-away from this writing experience today is to be cognizant of each and every person I come in contact with, focus on them, on their words, on who they are and begin to truly see my fellow human beings whether it is in Antigua, Guatemala; New Delhi, India; or Columbia, MO.

No comments:

Post a Comment