Monday, June 13, 2011

Nothing—Antithesis to Whole: #Trust30 Day 14


Alternative Paths
When good is near you, when you have life in yourself, it is not by any known or accustomed way; you shall not discern the foot-prints of any other; you shall not see the face of man; you shall not hear any name; the way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
The world buzzes about goals and visions. Focus. Create a vivid picture of exactly where you want to go. Dream big, then don’t let anything or anyone stop you. The problem, as Daniel Gilbert wrote in Stumbling Upon Happiness, is that we’re horrible at forecasting how we’ll really feel 10 or 20 years from now – once we’ve gotten what we dreamed of. Often, we get there only to say, “That’s not what I thought it would be,” and ask, “What now?” Ambition is good. Blind ambition is not. It blocks out not only distraction, but the many opportunities that might take you off course but that may also lead you in a new direction. Consistent daily action is only a virtue when bundled with a willingness to remain open to the unknown. In this exercise, look at your current quest and ask, “What alternative opportunities, interpretations and paths am I not seeing?” They’re always there, but you’ve got to choose to see them.  (Author: Jonathan Fields)


I like the last line of the Emerson quote:  “the way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new.”  This weekend I was in a seminar called Flight, run by Freedom Seminar* and Russ and Pat Hardesty.  One of the things we processed through was finding our core belief or core tape that plays over and over in our minds. It is this tape, this element of resistance that causes us to stop when we are starting toward our dream. Because of course we can’t do that because we are … stupid… unloveable… common… incomplete… broken. 
It is in the discovery of that core tape that plays, the one that gets you in the gut, the one that you physically feel that you can start to work toward what you really want.  It was very enlightening to me to see that what I really want out of life is usually the antithesis of what we really want and so the tension exists.  In my case, one of the things I am and I want to be more of is a whole, healthy, happy woman.  But in the back of my mind is the feeling that I must not be whole, as a matter of fact if whole is 100% I am really a zero. I am nothing.  So when I start toward a goal, the tape plays and the accuser says: what are you trying to do? You are nothing. A nothing, a zero can’t do that.  Even after I write this, I will be thinking that a nothing shouldn’t have written these words and posted them for all the world to see.
Forward motion in my life means countering those accusing words and saying, No, Devil, I am a whole, healthy, happy woman of God encouraging others to discern truth and apply it in a powerful way.
This is a new way of looking at my life.  It is not necessarily one that says, look I have arrived. What do I do now?  Because there will always be someone to encourage whether it be through what I write, a Bible study group I lead, a friend, a family member, a person I life coach.  This discovery of who I am helps push me to being more than I can ever hope, imagine or dream in this lifetime.   
In the process I may have some short term goals that I set but finally seeing with fresh eyes this overarching vision helps me be in the here and now.  It helps me to know that it is important to sit down and talk with someone I don’t know well and find out who they are.  I talked with a new friend after a group I’m involved in.  I found it we were both journalism majors in college and she’s working on writing a book. We had a lot to talk about and now I know Janie as new.  When I go back to that group, the dynamics will have changed for me because I know someone better. I hope we will be good friends.
It’s the opportunities that come across our way each and every day that make life always new, always changing, always dynamic, but never, ever boring. 

*If you would like to know about Freedom Seminars including Flight and Roots and Wings, visit http://lifesuccessassociates.com/Freedom Seminars.php .

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry at times you believe are 'a nothing'. But, I do understand and I can relate. The 'banner' that I have displayed on my phone is "Empty Nobody". I do think we are on a journey in which to fill our nothingness. Thank you for sharing.
    Peace, Nico

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can get to experience how liberating it is to be open, to let yourself as visible as you can bear to be. I can see that so clearly when I read all the other blogs - I need to work on this myself - we all share those deep, "unglamourous" feelings of inadequacy, nothingness. Reading and writing about it releases the negative energy. please continue writing :-), Magdis

    ReplyDelete