Thursday, June 23, 2011

Intuition: #Trust30, Day 24

The secret of fortune is joy in our hands. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you could picture your intuition as a person, what would he or she look like? If you sat down together for dinner, what is the first thing he or she would tell you?  (Author: Susan Piver)

Pink and black large check were printed on a white background.  They called it a feedsack; it was what feed would come in. Farmer's wives would wash the sacks and then use the material for a dress. Grandma liked different colors and patterns.  She was a large woman, soft and mushy in all the places a child could hug.  And, she loved hugs.  She also had a knack for knowing what was going on inside my head.  Maybe she did that for others, but it seemed she was good at doing that for me.
Jenny Parker, too smart for her 21 years.

Intuition would definitely look like my grandmother sitting down to a dinner she created that included her delicious cornbread called hoecake. She'd probably have breaded and fried round steak, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans cooked all day with ham seasonings. And for dessert, her famous chocolate pie.

She would look me in the eye and tell me not to eat all this fattening stuff.  And I'd say, "Gee Whiz, Grandma, why do you cook it then?"  She would say, "To see if you can resist temptation." Then she'd say, "Just take a little of what you want to eat.  Nothing is off-limits.  And by the way, keep up the good work." Then she'd go on eating what she wanted but desiring better for me.

I loved my grandmother. She had great advice and genuinely cared for me. But in this one area, her desire for me did not match her actions.  For that reason, I realize I have to change my perception of intuition.

Perhaps it should look more like my 21-year-old daughter who is good at eating only what she knows is best for her being happy with a salad for lunch and saving her calorie count for some important event she knows is coming up where there will be a dessert she would like to have. She will limit herself all week to splurge that one time.

She would say to me: "Eat something now so you won't be starved later." She'd also say to stay away from red meat, eat more vegetables and fruit.  Yes, I definitely think I'll change my picture to that of my daughter.  She's way too smart and intuitive for her 21 years.  Already she can read my mind, a scary thing for a mom!



No comments:

Post a Comment