Thursday, June 2, 2011

Everyone has a story: #Trust30 Day 3

One Strong Belief
It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.  —Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance
The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What's one strong bleif you possess that isn't shared by your closest friends or family?  What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
(Author:  Buster Benson) 
 
Everyone has a story.  Born out of a natural curiosity about people, this fact or knowledge has driven my life in many ways.  I believe everyone’s story is unique and special.  People are validated when we take time to listen to their story, ask questions, write it and publish it. 

As a writer, editor and publisher I implemented this belief in people’s stories.  Most everyone else holds this belief, too, deep down inside. They just don’t think about it every time they meet someone. For me, it is a driving force.

The other day I waited in a long line to get checked out at the grocery store. When it was my turn, I asked the clerk checking my $230 worth of groceries if he’d had a good day. When he said that he hoped tomorrow would be better. I had to ask why?  I always ask why. He told me about people calling in sick,  a large frozen food freezer going on the fritz and him being the only manager on duty. He looked to be a college student. He was frowning. His strong face, topped by dark, shortly cropped and immaculately styled hair, was contorted in anxiety.  I said, "At least the sun is shining." I saw his handsome smile for the first time since I had been standing in line. It was a short conversation, one in which he told me part of his story. Perhaps part of the belief that everyone has a story is believing their story is worth listening to when they tell it.

My family has told me that not everyone wants to reveal their personal information. They are even embarrassed when I stop and talk with total strangers. I have found relatively few afraid to tell me their stories or some part of it—the part that needs to be told that very moment.  

Everyone wants to be listened to.  Some don't want anyone else to know their stories.  That's OK. Part of the belief is recognizing that each person owns their story and has a right to keep it confidential.

As a foster mom, group home owner, writer, editor, life coach, small group leader, friend, mom and wife, I find people’s stories to be fascinating. 

Others share this belief, I'm sure, though no one that I know in my own life right now.  It is not a unique belief but it is a strong one that defines my life in so many ways.  I’ve always thought it to just be a fact. But in writing this I have come to see it is a belief.  It is a belief that everyone, no matter who, has a story that needs to be told.  So, what’s yours? Let’s talk.

2 comments:

  1. I am growing in my appreciation of the power of story. But as you talk about appreciating other peoples stories, accepting them, delighting in knowing them, I think it is the same thing as giving grace to others. Giving grace to another person is both powerful and as you learn how, very fun.

    I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to minimize our own story when we compare it to the sensationalized ones in the media. We are co-creators and our story is reflection of our Makers part.

    ReplyDelete