Monday, June 6, 2011

Dare to Dream: #Trust 30 Day 7

Dare to be bold 
Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born. – Ralph Waldo Emerson 

“Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneurs worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious. 

"A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. Its only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.” - Steven Pressfield, Do the Work 

The idea of “being realistic” holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type or moving to a new place – getting “real” often means putting your dreams on hold. Today, let’s take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue? Write it down. Also write down the obstacles in your way of reaching your goal. Finally, write down a tangible plan to overcome each obstacle. The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for? (Author: Matt Cheuvront) 

Dare to Dream 

My dream is: To write books that make a difference.

Obstacle 1. Deciding what to write
Overcoming Strategy: First, write about yourself. This is something you know. A memoir is first and may not be published but will get in the flow of writing each day.

Obstacle 2. Writing each day. Overcoming Strategy: With my job each day is different. Schedule time to write and stick to it like any other appointment. Overcoming Strategy: Writing prompts work well for me. Develop my own writing prompts from the Memoir Writing book Overcoming Strategy: Vacations, etc., get in the way. Take your laptop. Make notes on your phone. Take a notebook. You can write anywhere.

Obstacle 3. Writing books that make a difference.
Overcoming Strategy: Revise first statement. My dream is to write books. Whether or not they make a difference is not up to me. It is up to God. Overcoming Strategy: Pray before each writing session. Ask the Holy Spirit to take control. As I do the work, He will be there to guide me and whatever is written will be the thing I need to write. This has not been burning a hole in my heart ever since I can remember thinking for it be something I can ignore.

Obstacle 4: My health
Overcoming Strategy: Do what you need to do to be healthy, eat right, exercise, regular appointments with doctors. This will help you be in the right frame of mind and body to write.

Obstacle 5: Spiritual Life
Overcoming Strategy: I know that everything needs to be in alignment for me to be writing what needs to be written. Though I cannot be perfect, I can be intune with God’s Spirit each day, reading the Bible and journaling.

Obstacle 6: TV versus Reading
Overcoming Strategy: Turn off the TV. Open the book. Easy strategy but when my brain is tired my habitual reflex kicks in and I turn on the TV. Reading will help me chill and relax much better and will focus on what I reall want to accomplish. Right now, I declare a TV fast for two weeks. This will get me in the habit of not turning it on.

Now, I will write.

No comments:

Post a Comment