Thursday, March 17, 2011

Knock, knock.


Get up you Sleepy Head. What are you doing still in bed?  It’s a beautiful day. Come on there’s things we gotta do.

Go away! Jjust a few more minutes.  I didn’t get in until late last night.  I’m beat.

And whose fault was that anyway? Yeah, don’t put that pillow over your head, I’m talking to you!

I’m tired. I’m staying put.

No you don’t.  Remember that job interview? 

Oh no, what time is it? 

8 am.

The interview is at 9! Man, I’m so toast. I’m gonna kill you.  Why didn’t you wake me earlier?

I tried.

Try harder next time.

Yeah like there will be a next time. Especially if you kill me.

(Knock, Knock.)

Oh, don’t give me that. You love me.  I’m your favorite. There will always be a next time.

Don't bet on it.

Help me get ready here. What am I going to wear?

Let’s see.  It’s for an assistant manager job, right? So you want to look professional but not over the top like you want the manager’s job or anything.

The black suit with the white silk blouse?
 
Personally that’s my favorite but I’m afraid it says too responsible and high class.

(Knock, Knock.)

How about the gray with the soft pink stripe?

Hmmm, that may say secretary a bit too much.

Oh, what would you know anyway?  I’m gonna wear the dark green wool with the pale green blouse that looks like silk but really isn’t. 

Look, anyone worth their salt would know it’s a knock off and it would say you don’t know anything.

Hey I’m wearing it and that’s that.

(Knock, Knock.)

You’re nothing. You know that.  You’re nothing that’s for sure.

Shut up.  I’m wearing it.

Be sure and cover that zit on the top of your forehead.

Like I wouldn’t cover that zit?  What do you think I’m some kind of idiot?

Sometimes, yes. Yes, I do.

I can’t believe you’d say that. Look you made me mess up the lipstick.

That’s too bright anyway. You need to tone it down.

It’s my regular shade.

Well, this isn’t a regular day.

Give me a break.

You’ll need one to get an assistant manager job.

What do you know about it, you loser?

(Knock, knock.)

I know you don’t have what it takes. Why do you think you lost the last job and the job before that?

It’s the economy.  Middle management is the first to go.

So try for a management position or secretary. 

I’m not qualifed for management and I’m too qualified for secretary. And by the way have I told you lately that I hate you!

Sure, you tell me that every day.

And yet you’re still here. Why is that? I should have put a knife in you a long time ago.

I like being abused.  I like being told that someone hates me. And I simply adore having my life threatened every day.

Right, like you don’t hate me.

Well, sure I hate you. And I will kill you first. That’s inevitable.

Why is that, pray tell?  Why is that?

(Knock, Knock.)

Listen to that. Have you been hearing that knocking?

Yeah, I was ignoring it cause I don’t have time to talk to anyone right now.  I have, like, 15 minutes to get to the interview and it’s 14 minutes away, at least.

Maybe I’ll get it.

Stop right there. Don’t you dare! We don’t have time.

You don’t have time.

Same thing, isn’t it?

Unfortunately, I guess it is.

Come on, let’s go.

Rushing out the door, she flew into her car and down the street without a second thought.

He stood, knocking lightly, persistently.  When He noted she had gone without a word, He bowed His head sadly and left as well.

“What causes fights and quarrels within you?  Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you?  You want something but don’t get it. You kill and covet but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.” James 4:1-2







No comments:

Post a Comment