Monday, December 6, 2010

God directs moving objects...

There are many reasons to sit on the sidelines of life.  Some people want their experience to be prefect.  They want their home to be perfect at Christmas, all nice and clean, perfectly decorated.  I'll take mine almost decorated and partially clean. If that happens I will be so happy, even without my perfectionistic tendencies. 

It is a known fact, however, that it won't get perfectly clean if someone doesn't clean it. And yes, I hire an awesome cleaning crew who does a top to bottom once a month but in between the floors get dirty, dishes have to be washed and laundry put away.  We can wish things were different, but that just doesn't work, take it from me.  

What I've learned is that God directs moving objects. You have to be doing something for him to direct you.  I love Isaiah 30:21, "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, This is the way: walk in it."  When  you get to that place where you're just not sure of the next step, pray for guidance and take a step. Listen with your whole heart, soul and body for that gentle nudge from the Spirit. He won't let you go wrong.  


Recently, God nudged me about something I was writing or wanting to write and said, "Be still and know that I am God."  The word I was emphasized strongly. I thought it didn't fit with this moniker that I'd had for awhile saying God directs you when you are moving. That day, I learned stillness is moving.  It's moving closer to God.  That movement brings more clarity and focus that an entire month of going here and there and asking, is this it?  Is this it?  


I came upon some road construction today on a road I use a lot every day. As a matter of fact I went up and down it three times today. Each time, the trucks had moved to a different place. Just when you thought you knew where they'd be, the next time they'd moved. I figured it was just God keeping me on my toes, seeing if I were paying attention and not texting as I drive, like I had promised Oprah.  


I think you can see a beautiful possibility here, God is directing us to move. If we are all moving, things are getting accomplished. Road work is getting done. I'm getting my errands done.  Down the way someone may be going to visit a sick friend at the very moment a doctor is discovering a cure for her illness. I would be very concerned about this world if no one was moving or only a few were moving or everyone was waiting for someone else to move.


There is a song by Switchfoot that speaks to this. The lyrics say:

"Welcome to the planet, Welcome to existence, Everyone's here, Everyone's here, Everybody's watching you now, Everybody waits for you now, What happens next? What happens next?

"Welcome to the fallout, Welcome to resistance,The tension is here, The tension is here, Between who you are and who you could be, Between how it is and how it should be.

"I dare you to move, I dare you to move, I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor, I dare you to move, I dare you to move, Like today never happened, Today never happened before."

It's not about laying on the floor waiting for someone to discover you and help you up.  Sorry, I'd help you up if I knew you were down there, it's just sometimes hard to know that you're hurting that bad, especially when you're on the floor.  It's not about forcing God to tell you something. It's not about being perfect. It's about moving somewhere, doing something to make a difference. And as you move, it's about desiring to be directed, moving out cautiously and listening with your whole being.   If you find yourself stuck, it's about getting unstuck.  If you find yourself defeated, it's about finding something to be victorious about.  IF you find yourself overwhelmed, it's about finding someone else who is more overwhelmed than you and sitting beside them for awhile.

Take a step in a direction, any direction. I dare you. I dare you to move and then listen for that still, small voice of the Holy Spirit, the Refiner, refining your steps into boundless, limitless possibilities. And then, let me know how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment